The second last leg of our journey sees us heading to Mpumalanga to our parents house. This is also where our younger sister lives.
Although we live far apart, we are a very close-knit family. December is one of those “official” times set aside for family. It is also the time for lots of food — Gammon, Lamb and beef, all done according to old family recipes, and without fail too much! Then there is of course my mom’s date cookies which she only bakes in December. It just follows that you have to eat as many as you can because it only comes around once a year!
We will diet again and shed the extra kilograms, after New Year, when life returns to normal.
Let me show you the grasslands of the Highveld, covering rolling hills as far as the eyes can see, with many different hues of green. This is farm land intermixed with the occasional opencast coal mine and electricity plant. Although I prefer a more tropical environment, this area too, has a charm of its own. This trip has been marked with rain as far as we went, but we got blessed with some summer skies on the day.
- Almost ready… (lilyandrose.net)
- Slow Driving (lilyandrose.net)
- Just Crusing (lilyandrose.net)
- An Unexpected Gem (lilyandrose.net)
- Isabella’s (lilyandrose.net)
- The beckoning call of the Bush (lilyandrose.net)
- Into the bush, up a mountain (lilyandrose.net)
- Encounters of the animal kind (lilyandrose.net)
- By the water (lilyandrose.net)